- John 3:3, 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9
- Willingness to be a servant to the congregation
- Subject to discipline as outlined in Matthew 18:15-19
- Be in agreement with and be prepared to abide by the Statement of Faith as defined in the Southeast by-laws
- Be open to encouragement and be teachable
- Be a member of Southeast for a minimum of one year prior to appointment
Though not an exhaustive list, these are some of the responsibilities of the Elders at Southeast.
- Spiritual oversight and direction to the people of Southeast by being a servant leader and shepherd
(Mark 9:35, Acts 20:28-31, John 13:12-17)
- Prepared to teach, speak and pray in public settings as needed
- Lead by example in hospitality and integrity
- Be a servant to those in need
- Pray for the church, especially those who call upon the elders
- Help those who need good counsel and godly wisdom
- Encourage and assist the paid staff as needed
Elders serve for a term of three years and do not serve for more than two consecutive terms.