You did it! You made the time to go out on a date. You could be spending time with people from work, with your kids, with (fill-in-the-blank). But you got crazy, you made time to be with each other, only with each other. You made time to have FUN with your spouse. Well done!
Here are a few suggested ground rules to make the most of your time:
- Do not talk about money, kids (if you have them), in-laws or any other potentially relationally deadly topics. If this feels awkward, you are not alone. That is why you are doing this.
This date is all about just rolling with it and having fun. So for this date you will need a dice or a dice mobile app. (For all your grammar nerds out there, yes, you are correct. The single form of dice is die. But we just couldn’t bring ourselves to use the word “die” over and over again in a date. So just roll with us on this one.)
- Roll the dice to determine who picks your mode of transportation. Ladies roll first, highest number wins.
- Before you head for dinner, each person selects three places to eat. You can each choose one or all of the same restaurants. Number each restaurant. Guys, role the dice to determine the restaurant.
- When you get to the restaurant, determine what each of you will order by choosing three options each—ladies you are numbers 1-3, guys you are 4-6. Ladies, roll the dice for him. Then guys, roll the dice for her.
Questions to ask during dinner:
- What are the top 3 games you liked playing as a kid? (i.e. board games, playground games, sports)
- What did you like to pretend as a kid?
- Let’s pretend this restaurant is any place other than this city or town, where would it be? (under the water, on the moon, a different restaurant)
- What is the most fun thing we’ve ever done?
- What is the most fun thing about your spouse?
- On a daily basis, you are the most fun when you____________________.
- What can we do to make our daily interaction more fun?
Tips on Tipping:
- Tip at least 20%. If budget allows, have you server roll the dice. Whatever he or she rolls will add a dollar.
- If a comment card is available, leave positive feedback about your server. (If you pick up food at the grocery store, leave a positive comment at customer service.)
Roll the dice and do one of these three things:
- If you roll a 1 or a 4, you have to kiss in a public place for 30 seconds.
- If you roll a 2 or a 5, you have to dance in a public place for 30 seconds.
- If you roll a 3 or a 6, you have to sing to each other in a public place for 30 seconds.
Keep It Going
- Ask yourself in one week, “What is one thing we can do this week to have more fun?” (Make yourself a reminder on your phone, tie a string around your finger, hire a carrier pigeon, but don’t forget.)
- Date it forward by naming 3 couples you could give this date away to, and then roll the dice to determine who wins. Couple number 1 gets numbers 1 & 2, couple number 2 gets numbers 3 & 4, couples number 3 gets numbers 4-6.
About Married Life
Married Life is a program designed and committed to helping marriages THRIVE!!!
- Marriage Mentors – Couples a little further down the road trained to invest in another couple’s marriage and best of all it is FREE!
- Weekly Classes to help couples connect, grow, and support each other.
- Conferences, Date Nights, and Resources to help couples invest in their relationship.
- Life Together – Young marrieds connect on the 2nd and 4th Sundays for fellowship and to discuss the current sermon series and reading guide. Childcare is available.
Be sure to sign up for Married Life to stay informed and receive the Married Life Newsletter and Great Date Guides. Visit the Married Life website