Why the Canary Islands?
Every year, Mercy Ships leaves port and heads to the Canary Islands to make much-needed repairs to the ship. Once it's complete, it will head out to its next port off the coast of West Africa.
Southeast has partnered with Mercy Ships for several years, sending teams to serve alongside the Africa Mercy when the ship has been docked in various ports along the coast of West Africa. Mercy Ships follows the 2,000-year-old model of Jesus to provide hope and healing to the world’s forgotten poor, and Southeast loves to help in any way possible!
If you would like to find out more about this trip or about Mercy Ships, please fill out and submit the form below. The Missions Department will contact you!
This team will fill a vital role as the ship performs scheduled maintenance and renovations in a dry-dock setting in the Canary Islands. Maintenance will prepare the ship for the following years’ service in Africa. Activities include…
- Installing bulkheads in several Areas
- Pulling electrical cables and installing transits
- Installing deck-mounted shelving
- Installing new office equipment, tables, and bulkhead shelving
- Installing hospital lead-lined bulkhead panels
- Running small bore piping
Dates: June 15 – August 7, 2014 (Minimum 2 weeks within in the above dates)
- Cost: $1800 - 7 weeks, $1600 - 6 weeks, $1400 - 5 weeks, $1200 - 4 weeks, $1000 - 3 weeks, $850 - 2 weeks
- Flights are an additional cost
Location: Las Palmas, Gran Canaria (Staying onboard the Africa Mercy)
Trip Size: Individually-based
Team Lead: Mercy Ships will provide the assistance needed for your trip
Program: Dry-Dock Technical Team
Requirements: Mercy Ships application, $150 Deposit, Good Health & Technical Skills
Deadlines: Dependent on Departure date
Skill Sets Needed & Pertinent Info:
- Electricians, Electrical Technicians
- Must remain flexible at all times
- A servant's heart and good attitude is a must
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment
- Requires physical endurance; lifting between 20-30 lbs. occasionally, 5-10 pounds regularly, up to 8 hours a day on your feet, and frequent bending and twisting.
- Work hours may involve shift work, including evening and weekends
- Supportive of Mercy Ships Mission, Values and Philosophy of Service
- All volunteers will be trained by Mercy Ships in safe-working practices
- Bring own tools if desired
Team Fundraising Pages
If you would like to support an individual who is going on the trip to the Canary Islands this summer, please click on their picture. You will be directed to that individual's fundraising page where you can proceed with your donation.