Series: Finding Hope
Title: Part 5 - Hope in the Midst of Fear
Date: May 20/21, 2017
Speaker: Geoff Surratt
Fear holds us back in many ways. It leads us to regret missed opportunities. It prevents us from achieving our potential. Biblical hope has the power to disarm fear. The source of that power: resurrection.
Passage: Acts 6-7
1. What experiences/opportunities have you missed out on in your life because of fear? If you had it to do over again, what would you do differently?
2. Read Acts 6:8-15, and the end of Stephen’s speech in 7:51-60. Faced with the violent mob, Stephen seemed fearless. How was he able to face this danger?
3. What would make it possible for you to be calm and sure in the middle of extreme danger?
4. In his message, Geoff said that when fear is overcome by the power of the resurrection it leads to hope. How does the reality of Jesus’ resurrection lead to hope? (See 1 Corinthians 15:20-26).
5. Christians often talk about salvation and resurrection in terms of what happens after we die. How does it change our perspective when we understand that these are present realities as well as future?
6. Have you experienced God bring something dead back to life in your own life?
7. Where in your life would you most like to see resurrection power at work? In what ways might fear and regret be holding you back?
● What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
● What will help you remember it?
● Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?