Bible Passage: Ephesians 6:10-17
Stuff Phil said:
This passage relates to the other things we have talked about in this series.
· Impact of our Words
· The way we relate to each other
· How we keep from having a hint of the bad stuff in our lives
He talked about Jesus becoming bigger and bigger in our lives and us becoming less. The smaller Jesus is the more temptation you will face!
Your enemy is never another person!
To put on the armor of God...
· Engage daily with God’s truth
· Give selflessly to others
· Learn from others further along
Following Jesus is a long obedience in the same direction.
Phil quoted GK Chesterton, " The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried." What do you think about that quote?
Read Ephesians 6:10-17
What are some of the right and wrong things people think about the devil? (If it gets crazy suggest people identify verses that back up what they are saying)
· People tend to maximize Satan and demons by seeing them behind everything that happens in the world, by thinking he is co -equal with God (remember he was created - an angel - kicked out of heaven) OR
· People tend to minimize Satan and demons by not thinking they are real, or ignoring, disregarding or not wanting to talk about it.
· The Bible says Satan is a liar, thief, accuser, destroyer.
What areas of our life would he likely target?
· How we think about ourselves, God and others, what we dwell on, our routines, families, finances, fears, church, community etc...
· We need to recognize his fingerprints. Creating confusions, chaos, defeat, destruction, etc…
How does it help to know who our struggle is with and who it is not with? ( Eph 6:12 )
What are some things that Phil shared and that you can see in this passage that will help us to stand firm against the schemes of the devil?
· More Jesus less me.
· There are things that we must do in the battle and ways to be prepared.
How do we grow?
· Word of God, wise people, serve selflessly, etc…
How do these help us to have more Jesus and less me?
Painful times, difficult seasons, and temptations will come. Although some would tell us everything is better when you give your life to following Christ the Bible tells the truth that in this world you will have trouble, temptations, and difficult time. From this passage in Ephesians and others you may think of, what should we remember and what should we do when difficult times do come?
This passage uses the picture of a soldier prepared for battle and how he would be prepared and dressed. What are mentioned in these verses as important to the battle?
· Truth, Righteousness, Faith, Word, Spirit, Peace
How can you use these things for the battles you are facing now or in the future?
Back to the beginning: How does this battle that we are engaged in relate to the impact of our words, the way we relate to each other and the temptations in our lives?
What can you do this week to armor up?