We often want better things in our life. We want to upgrade.
The way to a better life is through love.
We don’t trade in the old for new rather we become better at loving like God loves. Not by trying harder but by remembering and receiving how God loves us so that we have something to give to others. Some people try to trade in old relationships for new but often find their issues follow them in to new relationships, jobs etc..
The Bible tells us that God is love and love is…
Love is patient.
Love is kind.
Love does not envy.
Love does not boast.
Love is not proud.
Love does not dishonor others.
Love is not self-seeking.
Love is not easily angered.
Love keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil.
Love rejoices with the truth.
Love always protects.
Love always trusts.
Love always hopes.
Love always perseveres.
This is how God loves us. He loves us individually and personally, fully knowing us.
Only God can love perfectly. When we take our need to be loved perfectly into our relationships we have unrealistic expectations and put enormous pressure on those people.
In order for us to love others well we must know what it is like to be unconditionally loved. When we receive from God we can give to others. When we are lacking love and grace we cannot give it to others.
Steve asked: How can we have better families? The real answer is not in formulas. We are all very diverse. The truth is we can have better families when we are generous with our love and grace.
Grace is undeserved favor, getting something we don’t deserve.
Ephesians 2:8-9 - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works so that no one can boast.
- Who is someone that models generous grace and generous love, in your opinion?
Talk About It:
- What is the connection between God’s grace for me and God’s grace coming out of me?
- When have you experienced grace? How does it feel?
- Illustration Steve gave is that God’s grace is abundant like having the whole Coldstone Creamery Freezer full of grave and love at your disposal but only passing out small sample spoons of grace and love to our families.
- Why is it so hard to be generous with love and grace?
- What are we afraid of in generous grace?
- What is the risk?
- God wants to be the Father that we run to not away from. Do you struggle with running toward God on all areas of your life? If so, what is that about?
- Have you understood God’s generous-limitless love for you?
- In what way is it hard to let that flow through you?
- What will you need to think differently about or what will you need to do differently?