Title: Part 1
Date: October 8-9, 2016
Speaker: Geoff Surratt
To change our family we have to change our words. To change our words we have to change our hearts. To change our hearts we have to change our treasure.
Passages: James 3:5-6, Proverbs 17:21, Ephesians 4:29, Luke 6:45
· Who do you see as the model family growing up? (Either someone you knew or someone you saw in a movie or on tv)
· Read James 3:5-6
· Why was James so concerned about the tongue? When have you experienced the detrimental power of the tongue?
· Read Proverbs 17:21
· How do words bring life? How do words bring death?
· Read Ephesians 4:29
· What do you think the author means by “unwholesome talk”? What types of talk would you categorize as unwholesome?
· Was the talk in your family growing up more “unwholesome” or “beneficial”?
· Who have you known who does a good job of building people up with their words?
· In Luke 6:45 Jesus said, “A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart.”
· In what ways does the treasury of your heart need to change? How can you make these changes?
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?