Series: Tough As Nails
Title: Part 2
Date: November 12-13, 2016
Speaker: Phil Vaughan
Do not resist and evil person. Love your enemies. Give up your right to be offended.
Passages: Matthew 5:38-47; Ephesians 31-32
· What is appealing about anger or rage?
· Read Matthew 5:38-47
· How did Jesus say we should respond to people who do us evil? (v. 39)
· How did Jesus say we should treat our enemies? (v. 44)
· How would you summarize Jesus’ words in your own words?
· Read Ephesians 31-32
· Phil stated, “Anger seems to be regarded as a virtue among followers of Jesus.” What comes to mind as you think about this statement?
· When attempting the difficult task of loving your enemies, which of these responses resonates with you?
o I don’t want to
o My effort comes up short
o I learn to really on God
· For you, what are the obstacles to loving your enemies or being less angry?
· In what ways might your life look differently if your forfeited your right to being angry and offended?
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?