Series: That You May Know The Way
Title: Part 3
Date: February 20/21, 2016
Speaker: Jason McBride
· Who of you, by worrying, can add a single hour to your life?
· Who of you have worried so much that you think you have taken a year or two off your life expectancy?
· Who of you, by worrying, has added value to what you value most?
If worrying doesn’t extend your life, can shorten your life, and doesn’t enhance anything else in life, then why would we worry? 2000 years Jesus addressed worry and gave us the definitive answers about worry!
What you are most devoted to determines what you worry about.
· What if you shifted your devotion?
· What would happen to your worry?
Luke 12:22-26 — Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
Luke 12:29-31 — And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom and these things will be given to you as well.
Jesus’ Invitation = Will you surrender your entire life to me?
When you make that devotion it does something to your worry - decreases...
· Begin Your Day Declaring Your Trust
· Invite God into the Worry
· When you are tempted to worry about tomorrow, look for a way to participate in what God is doing today.
You conquer worry by surrendering to Jesus’ Way for your life.
· If/when you worry, how do you express it or how does it effect you? (For example: Mental worry – Thinking about ‘what if’ and worst-case scenario? Physical reactions – eating, drinking, finding release, etc.? Emotional reaction – ignore it, discouraged, angry, etc.? Other?)
· What was the last thing that you worried about? (money, work, relationships, health, spouse, kids, image, other?)
· What do you think your worry reveals about your devotions?
· Read Luke 12:22-34
· What do we learn from the birds and flowers? (v. 24, 27-28)
· How is worry living like a non-believer (pagan)? (v. 30)
· What are we to seek? What does this look like for you? (v. 31)
· Brainstorm as a group: What are some creative and practical ways to shift devotion or deal with worry?
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?