Series: That You May Know Life
Title: Part 3
Date: March 19/20, 2016
Speaker: Phil Vaughan
We began this series by asking: What Do You Know For Certain?
Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us…
· “handed down to us”
· “carefully investigated everything from the beginning”
…so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught. Luke 1:1-4
God has made promises to you.
· I praise your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness; for your promises are backed by all the honor of your name. Psalm 138:2b
· For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” 2 Corinthians 1:20a
When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. “For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” Luke 22:14-16
The Four Cups of Passover – What happens through Passover is echoed in the life of Jesus.
1. Cup of Sanctification – I hear you and will bring you out of bondage
· I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. Exodus 6:6b
2. Cup of Deliverance – I will free you
· I will free you from being slaves to them, Exodus 6c
· For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin — Romans 6:6
3. Cup of Redemption – I will pay for you / I will redeem you
· and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. Exodus 6d
· If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
· If God can forgive you, then you might as well forgive yourself.
4. Cup of Restoration – I will take you as my own and I will be your God
· I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Exodus 6:7a
· Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away Revelation 21:1a
· Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. Rev 21:3b
After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you.” And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. Luke 22:17, 19-20
· What does it take for you to believe that something is true?
· Passover was celebrated to remember God’s promises and faithfulness. What helps you to remember God’s promises and faithfulness in your life?
· Read the description of the four cups used in Passover:
o Cup of Sanctification – I hear you and will bring you out of bondage
o Cup of Deliverance – I will free you
o Cup of Redemption – I will pay for you / I will redeem you
o Cup of Restoration – I will take you as my own and I will be your God
· Which of these cups have you experience through Jesus in a practical way? Describe what you have experienced.
· Read 1 John 1:9. If God has forgiven us, why do we find it difficult to forgive our selves?
· Being a sinner but forgiven, what helps you live in the reality of 1 John 1:9?
· Read Luke 22:14-20.
· Consider taking communion by yourself or as a group. If you have some bread and a type of grape juice available, you can celebrate communion right where you are. Either way, take time to quietly reflect are on the life, death and resurrection of Jesus and what that means for you
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?