Title: Part 6
Date: July 30-31, 2016
Speaker: Phil Vaughan
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites.”
“Go, look over the land,” he said, “especially Jericho.” So they went and entered the house of a prostitutenamed Rahab and stayed there. Joshua 2:1b
“I know that the Lord has given you this land and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live in this country are melting in fear because of you.” Joshua 2:9b
Now then, please swear to me by the Lord that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Joshua 2:12a
By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient. Hebrews 11:31
This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham: Matthew 1:1
Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab. Matthew 1:5a (NIV)
Jesus’ Family Tree
· Uriah’s wife
All four women are Gentiles.
He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. Acts 10:28
For God does not show favoritism. Romans 2:11
But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. James 2:9
The question isn’t, “Do I show favoritism?” The question is, “How do I show favoritism?”
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, 1 John 4:18a
We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19
In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? James 2:25
Jesus said to:
· Love my neighbor.
· Love those who are different than me.
· Love those who mistreat me.
· Love my enemies.
· Are there any sketchy or scandalous characters in your family tree?
· Read Joshua 2
· How many spies did Joshua send into the land? (v. 1)
· In Jericho, who di the spies stay with? (v. 2)
· What was Rehab’s request for the spies? (v.12)
· What was to be the sign that Rahab’s family would be saved by the Israelites? (v. 17)
· Read Matthew 1:1, 5
· What comes to mind for you as you think about Rehab the prostitute being listed in the family tree of Jesus?
· Phil mentioned that the question isn’t, “Do I show favoritism?” The question is, “How do I show favoritism?” Where do you struggle with favoritism in your life?
· Read 1 John 4:18-19
· For you, which is more difficult:
o Love my neighbor.
o Love those who are different than me.
o Love those who mistreat me.
o Love my enemies.
· How can we grow in love for those that we find difficult or challenging?
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?