Series: Those Are Not My People
Title: Part 2
Date: September 17-18, 2016
Speaker: Phil Vaughan
If you decide who belongs and who doesn’t, then the circle you draw will eventually exclude everyone but you.
Throughout his ministry Jesus changes the rules by defining who belongs.
Belonging Precedes Changing!
Passage: Luke 5:27-32
· Which vocations or jobs do people typically think negatively about? Why?
· Read Luke 5:27-32
· What was Levi’s profession? (v. 27)
· Who would be modern day example of Levi, the tax collector?
· What actions did Levi take upon hearing Jesus’ invitation to follow Him? (v. 28)
· How did the Pharisees and others express their disapproval of Jesus? (v. 30)
· What reason did Jesus give for His coming? (v. 32)
· Why do you think Jesus was comfortable at a party with sinners and those rejected by most others?
· Whom would you be uncomfortable to spend time with at a party?
· If belonging precedes changing, what happens when Christians exclude someone?
· How can you become more comfortable with those you are tempted to exclude?
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?