Title: Part 3 (Baptism Weekend)
Date: September 24-25, 2016
Speaker: Phil Vaughan
Baptism Weekend – Jesus Sets Us Free
Passage: Matthew 3:13-17; Romans 6:1-11
· What are some initiation rites or affiliation procedures that you have seen some organizations or groups use with new members?
· Read Matthew 3:13-17
· How did John react to Jesus’ request? (v. 14)
· How did Jesus respond to John’s reluctance? (v. 15)
· What did God the Father say about Jesus? (v. 17)
· Why do you think John felt awkward about baptizing Jesus?
· Why do you think Jesus, having never sinned, wanted to get baptized?
· If you have been baptized, what led up to you deciding to get baptized
· If you have been baptized, what stands out to you and what do you remember about that time?
· Read Romans 6:1-11
· What does baptism symbolize about our relationship to Jesus (v. 2-4)
· How does being united with Jesus through His death change our relationship to sin? (v. 7)
· In what ways is a Christian truly free?
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?