Series: The Way You Think
Title: Part 3
Date: March 4-5, 2017
Speaker: Peter Barber
The Pattern to Change is: SEE – FEEL – CHANGE. If we want to engage our emotions in the change process then empathy is the key. Empathy requires focusing on and seeing others, who they really are and their struggles. Empathy helps us see where we are and pick a new direction. One way to grow in empathy is to ask others: “How is it for you?” and then listen deeply.
Passage: Romans 12:1-8
· What gifts (skills, talents, or qualities) has God given to you?
· Read Romans 12:1-8
· How are we to think about our self? (v. 3)
· What helps you to have an honest assessment of your life and circumstances?
· What did Paul use the human body to illustrate? (v. 4-5)
· How should each person use his or her gifts? (v. 6-8)
· Have you experienced the connection between using your gifts for someone else and growing in empathy?
· What would it be like for you, if you asked others the question: “How is it for you?”
· Who is someone you could ask this week?
· How can you put one of your gifts to work for others this week?
· What is the one thing you need to take away from this study?
· What will help you remember it?
· Is there anything that needs to change in your thinking, actions, or relationships as a result?