How to Pray for the Persecuted Church, Part 2 | June 23, 2023
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. —Revelation 5:8 ESV
As we continue to pray for the persecuted church around the world this week, today we will look at how to pray from the Bible. May our prayers be incense that rise to God.
How to Pray From the Bible
Because the New Testament was written to persecuted Christians, it shows you how to make a difference for people under attack. In Ephesians 6:18, Paul says to be alert and pray for all of God’s people. The New Testament teaches:
- Pray that persecuted Christians would know the hope God gives (Ephesians 1:18).
- Pray that Christians facing persecution would rely on God, and not themselves (2 Corinthians 1:7-9).
- Pray that persecuted Christians would fearlessly tell others about Jesus (Ephesians 6:20).
- Pray that their witness would inspire those who plan to harm them (Acts 16:25, Luke 6:27-31).
- Pray that God would provide for the physical needs of persecuted Christians (3 John 2).
- Pray that they would experience God’s peace, despite their weakness and current circumstances (2 Corinthians 12:9).
- Pray that God would protect them, according to His will (Matthew 26:39).
- Pray that God would ultimately rescue them out of dangerous circumstances (Psalm 91:15).
- Pray that persecuted Christians would feel deeply connected to Jesus in their suffering (John 15:19-20).
- Pray that they would be completely faithful and surrendered to God’s will (Revelation 2:10-11).
- Pray that they would have wisdom and discernment for how to approach every situation (Matthew 10:16-18).
- Pray that as they share in Christ’s sufferings, they would be able to rejoice in the hope God offers them (1 Peter 4:12-14).
Try to keep a journal with specific prayers that you can return to daily. And, of course, ask God to give you the right words to pray.*
*Taken from cru.org, How to Pray for the Persecuted Church